Recipe: Sourdough Buttermilk Biscuits
- 1/2 cup Wild Culture Sourdough Starter, active
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Salad oil
- Bacon grease or butter
- Buttermilk and Wild Culture sourdough starter should be room temperature before preparing the recipe. At least 4 hours ahead, mix the sourdough starter, buttermilk, and 1 cup of flour in a large bowl. Cover and let stand at room temperature. (Can also do this the night before baking the biscuits).
- Combine 1/2 cup of flour with the salt, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and stir into the sponge.
- Turn this soft dough out onto the remaining 1-1/2 cups of flour and lightly knead until well mixed.
- Place dough into bowl (greased with salad oil), cover, and let stand for 3 hours at room temperature.
- Punch dough down and briefly knead again. Roll out to 1/2-inch thickness and cut with a biscuit cutter or glass.
- Put a little bacon grease or melted butter in a pie tin or similar. Dip both sides of each biscuit and place them, nearly touching each other, on a baking stone, cookie sheet, or baking pan.
- Let them raise for about 1 hour.
- Bake biscuits in pre-heated oven at 375 F. degrees for about to 25-30 minutes.
Servings: 10 biscuits