Recipe: Sourdough Banana Nut Bread
- 1 cup Wild Culture Sourdough Starter, active and at room temperature
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup firmly backed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup salad oil
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 3 small bananas)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 cup chopped nuts (pecans, walnuts)
- 1 cup raisins
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a small ball. Mix well. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add egg, sugars, and oil and beat until well blended.
- Beat sourdough starter, bananas, vanilla, and lemon peel into the egg mixture.
- Then stir the nuts and raisins into the sourdough-egg mixture.
- Combine the dry and wet ingredients, mixing just until blended.
- Turn batter into a well-greased 9 by 5-inch loaf pan. Bake in a preheated 350 F. degrees oven (325 F. for glass pan) for about 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let loaf cool in pan on a rack for about 10 minutes, then turn out onto rack to cool completely.
Servings: Makes 1 loaf