Recipe: Sourdough Oatmeal Bread
- 1 cup Wild Culture sourdough starter, active and room temperature
- 2-1/2 cups rolled oats
- 2-1/4 cups whole milk
- about 5-1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup molasses, honey, or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup salad oil
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Heat milk in sauce pan, add rolled oats. Stir well, then let oatmeal cool.
- Feed the oatmeal and 2-1/2 cups of flour to the active Wild Culture sourdough culture. Mix well.
- Cover and let stand in a warm place until thick and bubbly (about 1-1/2 hours).
- Stir dough sponge down. Then stir in molasses, oil, baking soda, and salt.
- Gradually beat into the dough the remaining flour to make a stiff dough.
- Turn dough out onto floured board and knead until smooth and no longer sticky, adding flour as needed.
- Place dough in a greased bowl; turn over to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled.
- Punch dough down and divide into thirds. Knead each piece briefly on a floured board to release air; shape each into a smooth loaf and place in a greased 4-1/2 by 8-1/2 inch loaf pan.
- Cover loaf pans and let rise in a warm place until loaves are about 1/2 inch above pan rims (approximately 45-60 minutes).
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375 F. degrees (350 F. degrees for glass pans) for about 35 minutes or until well browned. Turn out onto racks to cool.
Servings: 3 loaves