Recipe: Sourdough English Muffins
- 1 cup Wild Culture sourdough starter, active
- 1-1/2 cups white wheat or all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Buttermilk and Wild Culture sourdough starter should be room temperature before preparing the recipe.
- Combine all ingredients except cornmeal and stir well.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured board and knead until smooth, adding more flour if needed.
- Roll dough to 1/2-inch thickness and allow to rest for about 10 minutes.
- Cut dough with a floured 3-inch biscuit cutter.
- Sprinkle cornmeal on a sheet of waxed paper. Press muffins on cornmeal and press lightly to coat each side with cornmeal.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for about 1 hour.
- Fry muffins for about 20 minutes on a lightly greased griddle or cast iron skillet heated to 350 F. degrees. Turn them occasionally while cooking.
- When done, spit muffins in half and spread with butter, jam, jelly or other yumminess.
Servings: 10 muffins