Recipe: Sourdough Dark Chocolate Cherry Donuts
- 1/2 cup Wild Culture sourdough starter (active)
- 2/3 cup double-dutch process dark cocoa
- 3/4 cup dried cherries, chopped
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/4 cups light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (or dark chocolate chips)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 F. degrees. Spray coconut oil onto doughnut pans (or rub butter into the pan wells).
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cocoa, flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, espresso powder, baking soda, and chocolate chips.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, gently whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, butter, and vanilla.
- Add the wild culture sourdough starter to the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Add the wet ingredients and the chopped cherries to the large mixing bowl with the dry ingredients and stir until just combined (do not beat or over-mix).
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pans, filling them about 3/4 full.
- Bake the doughnuts for 12 to 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one comes out clean.
- Take the doughnuts out from the oven, and after 30 seconds, loosen their edges from the pan, turn the pan upside down over a rack, and gently let the doughnuts fall onto the rack to cool.
Servings: 12 donuts